Opening bid of 2NT(Artificial/showing 12/14 pts and both minor suits) & its Responses
- Opening bid of 2NT(showing both minor suits) and various rebids on relay of 3H by partner:-
- Opening bid of 2NT :- When you have both minor suits, min. 5-5, and 12-14 points (min. 10/11pts in minor suits as major suits pts are likely to be wasted), you bid 2NT. Your distribution can be 5-5-2(1)-1(2), 5-5-3-0 , 6-5-1-1 or 6-5-2-0 and very rarely it can be 6-6-1-0, 7-5-1-0, 7-6-0-0, etc.(Note-In case, if you have both minor suits but less points i.e. 10-11, you open 1D)
- Rebids by opener on relay of 3H(artificial, forcing for 1 round):- Opener has to first show dist. of major suits (minor suits are min. 5-5 cards), whether one of the major is void or singleton. Bid of any major i.e. 3S/4H(generally this major will be 3 carded but it can be 2 carded also, in case of 6-5-2-0-dist) shows other major void whereas bid of 3NT shows 2-1 dist. however bid of minor suit i.e. 4C/4D shows 6-5-1-1 dist. (bid suit minor is 6 carded) and in rare case jump of minor shows 6-6-1-0 or 7-5-1-0 dist.
- Responses by partner:- After opener has bid 2NT ( showing both minor, min. 5-5), responder has to first see, his holding in minor suits & depending upon his points, he should bid part game or game and above.
- With less points, he should sign off in suitable minor suit i.e. 3C/3D, in case of min. 3 cards support otherwise he passes
- With 12+ points, he either
- relays by 3H(artificial, forcing for 1 round asking position of balance 3 cards),
- jumps to 4C/4D for identifying the trump suit (on which opener bids singleton major so that responder can use RKC by 4NT)
- jumps to 4NT (in case both minors are matching) asking RKC for both minors