Responses by partner:- On 1NT bid by opener, responder.
- Having 0-7 points and no 4/5 cards major, he passes but with 5-8 points having 5 cards major he bids major suit i.e. 2H/2S which is sign off.
- With 11+ and
- Min.5 cards suit with bal./unbal. hand, he jumps in a suit i.e. 3C/3D/3H/3S (jump in minor shows slam interest) or
- Bids forcing stayman i.e. 2D which is game force.(2C is non-forcing stayman generally showing 8/10 points).
On minor suit jump i.e.3C/3D by responder,opener
(i)Raises the suit i.e.4C/4D ,if he has 4 cards support.
(ii)Bids 3NT, if 2 cards and
(iii)bids 3 of a major(in which he has highest honour),if he has 3 cards support.
- Opener holding both majors, has to show first H and then S, on both stayman (bid of S denies H).
- On forcing stayman, opener is to show 5 cards minor, if any, in case of no major. If major shown earlier or bid 2NT, then 3C is repeat stayman for minor (to be asked if interested in minor slam) for 4 cards minor. (3D shows 4 cards Dia-suit, 3NT shows 4 cards club suit, and bid of unbid short major shows no 4 cards clubs.)
SPECIAL NOTE: Alternatively, if desired, for responses on 1NT, you can play Jacoby transfers which is also equally good.
- Opening bid of 1NT and various rebids on Jacoby transfer bids by partner:-
- Opening bid of 1NT:-
When you have 14-15 pts. and generally balanced hand, your opening bid is 1NT. It may have singleton or 5 cards minor, but no singleton or 5 cards major. (With singleton major and 4-4-4-1 dis., you first bid 1D and on relay jump to major i.e. 2S/3H.)
This is most descriptive bid of all the opening bids and most of the time the responder is able to place the final contract immediately as it is limited both pointwise (narrow range of 1 pt.) as well as distribution wise (bid hand having no 5 cards major and generally min. 2 cards support in all suits).
- Rebids by opener on Jacoby transfer bids of 2D(transfer to H)/2H(transfer to S)(artificial):-
Opener has to bid transferred major suit i.e. 2H/2S. He should jump only in case he has 4 cards support & 15 pts.
Note:- In case of 2S (it is sign off in any minor) bid by responder, opener has to bid 3C which will be passed or corrected by responder according to his holding.
- Responses by partner:-
On 1NT bid by opener, responder
- Having 0-7 pts. & no 4/5 cards major, he passes but with 5-8 points having 5 cards major he uses Jacoby transfer bids i.e. 2D/2H or 2S (only in case of highly unbal. hand & min.6 cards minor suit).
- With 11+ pts., he uses stayman or Jacoby transfer bids & then jumps on rebid which is game force or
- Having min. 5 cards suit with bal./unbal. hand, he jumps in a suit i.e.3C/3D/3H/3S. (jump in minor shows slam interest).
Note:-(1) On minor suit jump i.e.3C/3D by responder, opener
(i) Raises the suit i.e.4C/4D ,if he has 4 cards support.
(ii) Bids 3NT, if 2 cards and
(iii) Bids 3 of a major(in which he has highest honour),if he has 3 cards support.
(2) With 9/10 pts., he either bids 2NT, in case no 4 cards major or bids stayman / Jacoby transfer & then invites.
Points to remember on 1NT opening PART (A) & (B)
There are no Relays, whatsoever, either by opener or by responder at any stage. However there are stayman or Jacoby transfer bids.
- Jumps Bids:-
- There is no jump bid by opener of 1NT except when he has 4 cards support in transferred major as well as 15 pts., he gives jump bid in major suit e.g. 1NT-P-2D/2H-P-/3H/3S.
- Responder can give jump bids on two occasions viz.
- To show Game force by giving jump in major/minor suit showing min. 5 cards major/minor & 11+ pts.e.g.1NT-P-3C/3D/3H/3S or
- Jump to game e.g.1NT-P-3NT/4H/4S showing 11/14 pts. & no 4 cards major or min. 6 cards major suit.
- Handling of Interference by Opponents after 1NT opening:-
- Two level interference by suit call before response:-
- Dbl. by responder is always for penalties e.g. 1NT --intf. by opp. with 2C/2D/2H/2S--Dbl.
- Any other 2 level suit bids are natural & non-forcing (Note:- After suit call by opponent, no transfers please but if interference is by DOUBLE then transfers are on please.) but
- Any 3 level suit bid is natural & forcing. Whereas
- Bid of 2NT is Lebensohal i.e. opener to bid 3C which will be passed or corrected by responder.
- Bid of opponent's suit is stayman.
- Two/three level interference, either by suit call or dbl. after response:-
In case interference is after response, then opener to bid as per his holding.